Monday, August 31, 2009

Weblogg-ed Response

I was reading the most recent post at Weblogg-ed today entitled "Wanted: School Chief Learning Officer" . The topic of the blog was a conversation about how many teachers did a good job of getting the material across versus teaching them how to learn. This man's particular response was that only 10% really taught their students how to learn and became lifelong learners. I thought this blog was interesting because unless you consider the Director of Curriculum, there is no one in charge of making sure the students are really learning in a solid way. The administrators are there to keep the building running, conduct discipline, etc. Teachers are solely responsible for making sure their students have really learned the material but that goes beyond just getting ready for the test. I know that I get caught up in just getting through the material with a minimum of interruptions that I don't always focus on whether the kids are really grasping the material in a deep way or not.

2 comments:

  1. I really feel that teaching students to become life long learners is the single most important thing we can do. I felt like I always had a great advantage because my parents taught me to think for myself and go explore things I didnt understand. They didn't spend a lot of time making sure my brother and I were reading a ton of books or doing more formal education type things, but they always made sure we were independent thinkers and never settled for the easy answer someone was spoon feeding us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie,
    Teachers certainly have a lot of responsibility, don't we!
    Dr. Burgos

    ReplyDelete