Friday, August 28, 2009

Ways to use blogs in class

After reading Richardson's thoughts on ways to use blogs in the classroom, I picked three ways I could use blogs in the classroom. One way I could use blogs in class is to have the students blog about one thing they learned that day in class as a journal entry. Another way is for general chemistry students to have them blog about ways that chemistry corresponds with their lives. A third way is to have students ask me questions via blog about a concept they don't understand.

5 comments:

  1. Stephanie-

    I am just checking out your blog because I have never seen a blog before (other than the instructions), and just wanted to see how you are doing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You haven't used a site like MySpace before? That's my background knowledge on blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your idea of having students blog as a journal entry each day. Not only does it allow you to see how the students are doing, but allows them to maybe "vent" their frustrations with specific material, and makes them think about what it is they truly do and do not understand from the classwork!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie,
    You will find out which of your ideas work best by trying them out. My only thought is that the students might soon tire of blogging everyday and you might tire of checking their blogs on a daily basis. Blog entries seem to lend themselves better to reactions to a video, issue, etc. where there can be a "back and forth" discussion among students. However, the journaling may work, so certainly give it a try.
    Dr. Burgos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having a daily blog is a great idea to create a permanent product of student learning. In an age of "building a body of evidence" to illustrate student learning-- a daily blog is a great way to show it. I also like that it forces to students to answer that age old question..."what did you learn today"?

    ReplyDelete