Sunday, August 30, 2009

Reaction to "Why Let Our Students Blog?"

I liked the way this video was set up with first showing a multitude of words that would describe why it is beneficial for students to blog. Some guidelines for helping students set up online blogs are found at Education World. Some of the words listed that stuck out to me were participation, excitement, conversation, literacy and empowerment. I especially liked this list because I think if students can blog their thoughts about school work they can be more excited about the topic and share more than they might out loud in a classroom setting. Also, they can learn to spell and write better and see their blogs responded to. The second smaller part was "to give students a ________". My favorite was "audience". I think that many kids these days, especially younger ones, don't feel that what they have to say is listened to carefully because of their age. Blogging gives students the ability to voice their thoughts, opinions and questions. 21Classes is a site that lets a teacher set up a virtual classroom for free. Click here to visit the "Why Let Our Students Blog" video that this blog references. This reflection is for my online class LAI684.

4 comments:

  1. Stephanie,

    Thanks for including some useful links for everyone about blogging. Only one would not open for me - Blogging gives students... Maybe you could edit your post and try to make that link again.
    I'm a little surprised that the 21 Classes sites calls what it does "setting up a virtual classroom". Somehow for me a virtual classroom would be something in an environment like Second Life not just a class website, but I guess these terms can have different meanings.
    Dr. Burgos

    ReplyDelete
  2. I re-did that link but it worked for me before I fixed it. Try it now, it should work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie,
    Oh, I see the problem. The link is active but because the words "Connecting. Please wait." appear in red at the top of the screen, I just kept waiting for something to happen. Actually, the content really appears below. I'm not sure what that "connecting" is referring to, but the content was visible.
    Dr. Burgos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steph,
    You don't need to link to our course LAI 684 on UBLearns, just tag your posts with that tag.
    Dr. Burgos

    ReplyDelete